Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pretty Pink Scarf

white sweater: NY & Co., gray wide leg pants: NY & Co., pink scarf: NY & Co., pink heels: Bandolino (DSW)


So much for my resolution not to wear anything from NY & Co.  I'll have to try tomorrow!

This is my normal process for picking out my outfit:  I choose it the night before, and sometimes I have something in mind that I want to wear, and sometimes I glance around my closet until once piece jumps out at me.  If that doesn't work, I'll go to my personal lookbook notebook I have at home with magazine pictures to inspire me.  If that still doesn't help, I'll usually read some of the motivational quotes in there to convince me that its worth the time to put some effort into my look and FIND SOMETHING CUTE!  Sometimes, I'll look to an accessory--a piece of jewelry or some shoes or something I haven't worn in a while, and build a whole outfit around that. 

That's what I had to do in today's instance.  Last night, I swear, I looked in my closet for something to wear for a whole hour.  I checked the dryer to make sure there wasn't something FABULOUS in there...it was empty.  I watched some American Idol.  I went back to the closet.  I sent a text.  I went back to the closet.  I finally remember this scarf, which is the last article I bought in SA that I haven't worn, and jumped up and down that I had something new to wear, no matter how small.  And then the closet shuffle started again.  I tried on about 4 pairs of pants, but nothing looked just right.  My black pants felt too tight, or too short, or were all linty.  I didn't feel like wearing khaki.  I finally decided on these gray pants, but then I had to find a shirt that didn't clash with the scarf and would keep me warm for the cold front I was anticipating coming in today. 

After another 20 minutes of trying on one shirt after another (tucked in, untucked, belted, with an undershirt, with a collared shirt...) I finally decided on this lovely, soft, warm, neutral sweater.  So, my outfit is a little uninspired today--I mean, wow, a bright scarf paired with a white sweater and gray pants..., but I really did put more effort than you know into it.  I did throw in the pink shoes to give myself a little symmetry and to try to make it obvious that I do actually own some colorful pieces, even if they are all accessories in this case.


I'm not as upset as I seem by my outfit, though.  I think it turned out fine.  Especially considering I'm rocking on about 4 hours of sleep again from last night.  Oh, come home, husband!

3 comments:

  1. I actually think this look is cute! And I wouldn't worry about clashing with that scarf too much. Sometimes a little clash with an accessory makes an outfit pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny how similar this is to some of my nights when I lack inspiration ... I totally get you.
    Sometimes however I DO get some LIGHT when I do,, I take advantage of it and set up at least a week's worth of wear - so when I have those blank moments, I have something to fall back on.
    Another thing I do is take everything out of my closet and when i start putting it back, something usually pops up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andie, you are right about the scarf. When I'm in a more adventures mood, I'll pair it with something completely opposite of the color/print. Thanks for the "tights" advice!

    Lorena, I should try the week ahead thing. I'm also going to try one of the inspiration calendars that Kimberly posts at Fab Finds Under $50 posts next time I can't think of something!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails